Pages

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Deep Cleaning


Although I have found some enjoyment in learning how to make homemade cleaning products this year, it's hard to speak fruitful words about the daily cleaning of my home.

Part of the reason has to do with our two large dogs that somehow drag in the backyard and I find myself sweeping and dusting constantly, trying to keep out the dirt. I know that regardless of how lemon-fresh I get the house to smell, dirt will be there tomorrow and will need cleaning.

However, I have found when I am upset, I rush to clean, and I mean deep clean. I find it cathartic as I scrub an item I haven't in a long time. For example, all the blinds and baseboards in my house. I admire my work after scrubbing and releasing the pent up tension in my shoulders, and ask myself, "Why did I wait so long to make these shiny and white again?"

Having cleaned the blinds above my bathtub this week, God reminded me when I am upset at someone, my heart is far from clean. I can ignore it and let months or even years go by carrying that dirty junk in my heart. If I ignore the dirt too long, my heart ends up needing a tough scrubbing rather than a light dusting.

The Bible says in Proverbs 20:9 (NIV), "Who can say, 'I have kept my heart pure, I am clean and without sin'?"

I know I can't. And I know my lips won't speak pure words if my heart is not clean.

But, the Bible also promises in 1 John 1:7 (NIV), "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin."

Why wait? All I have to do to feel shiny and clean again is to let Jesus do the work as I ask God daily to make my heart pure, regardless of the circumstances. This cleaning through Jesus' work on the cross has a better fragrance to it than lemon-fresh; in fact, I believe the scent is heavenly.

Until next week,



No comments:

Post a Comment